Senorio de Cuzcurrita is the wine made from grapes from within the walled enclosure of the castle and other nearby vineyards. It is the label which most faithfully represents the personality of Cuzcurrita wines.
All the vines are old, unirrigated and goblet-pruned. During veraison the cluster are generally thinned so as to match the amount of grapes per vine to its canopy surface in a ratio of 1.5 to 2.0 m2 per plant.
Senorio de Cuzcurrita is a wine which has fermented at 30 ºC with long maceration in 15,000-litre vats with an excellent geometrical shape. It has outstanding dark black-cherry colour, an intense nose of ripe red-berry fruit and hints of spices from the oak casks. Smooth tannins wrap around the mouth and leave a long, lingering finish.
Little is known of its history of Cuzcurrita prior to the 14th century. On 15 November 1367, King Enrique II of Castile rewarded the Alcalde Mayor of the Hijosdalgo of Castile, Juan Martinez de Rojas by granting him the title of Feudal Lord of Cuzcurrita with all its lands and rights.
In the 16th century, during the reign of Philip II, the 9th Lord of Cuzcurrita, Pedro Velasco, bastard son of Bernardino de Velasco and the wife of Pedro Suarez de Figueroa, established the entailed estate by marrying Marta de Rojas y Osorio, carving his coat of arms over the entrance to the castle.The fortress, which had been erected by the Suarez Figeroa family between the 14th and 15th centuries, remained in the hands of the Velasco-Rojas family until the last century, subsequently passing through various hands until it was bought by the Sainz de Inchaustegui family, Counts of Alacha, in 1947, who went on to restore it and make it their family home.
Within the irregular square floor plan of this fortress stands the keep, one of the most characteristic of its kind in La Rioja due to the harmony of its dimensions and its few arched openings. This square tower rises from right in the middle of the castle with small, rectangular openings.
Since 1999, the Castle of Cuzcurrita and its properties belong to a family business.
Ever since the beginning the new owners began a total makeover which will allow its architecture to survive for centuries.
The restoration was not only aesthetic, they also recovered the old vines and renovated the winery facilities, improving and modernising the winemaking techniques, which today means that our wines can be made in the ideal conditions which are required to obtain quality.
The Castle overlooks its own vineyards which provide the grapes for our wines.