A wine made from 100% autochthonous Manto Negro grapes, enjoyed even by those who do not usually like rose wine.
FROM THE MOORS TO PRESENT DAY; BINIAGUAL, A CENTENARY WINE TRADITION.
During the Arab occupation of the island, Binigual was a farmstead dedicated to horticulture. After Mallorca was conquered by Jaume I, Biniagual ended up in the hands of the viscounts of Bearn, who in 1264 donated the Biniagual estate to the Jonqueres convent in Catalonia. The Catalans substituted the Arab horticulture system for olive trees, vines and cereals, much as had been cultivated during Roman times.
In the 16th Century Biniagual had become a small village featuring six houses, but it was abandoned due to the plague in the mid 17th century.
THE 14TH CENTURY, PROSPEROUS TIMES
The Biniagual llogaret or hamlet experienced its most prosperous times at the beginning of the 17th Century. Its inhabitants went back to living off the land, breeding sheep and pigs as well as farming grapes and olives. In 1734 the small chapel was blessed and dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. As a consequence of its financial prosperity and its increasing number of inhabitants, twelve houses were built between 1840 and 1850, and the existing houses were extended and refurbished.
Biniagual was a significant stop off point within Mallorca’s road system; it was located on the crossroads between the road to Muro and the road from Binissalem to Sencelles. Many travellers would stay at the llogaret during their journeys across the island. This resulted in the establishment of a branch of the Civil Guard in the mid 18th Century, which was later abandoned. The old police station still exists and can be seen in the centre of the village.
At the beginning of the 18th Century, olive farming gave way to further vineyards and the estate began farming grapes almost exclusively. At the beginning of the 20th Century, luck turned against Biniagual and all its vines were destroyed by the phylloxera plague. The inhabitants of this small village tried to bring their farming business back to life by cultivating almonds and figs, as well as breeding sheep and pigs, but it was not a profitable venture and all the village’s inhabitants slowly started moving away until the llogaret was completely abandoned. By the mid 20th Century Biniagual was practically in ruins.
The village was purchased by its current owner in 1968. He reinitiated the farming of its land and has been restoring the village houses since 1989. In 1999 vines were once again planted at Biniagual and the vineyard currently occupies some 34 hectares and contains 148.000 vines.