The Pinot Bianco grape variety was first introducedin South Tyrol circa mid-1800ís. As the main variety used to replace the old Schiava vineyards, Pinot Bianco, had been the most cultivated white grape variety in South Tyrol for years. Planted on both sides of the river Adige on the Salorno plain, this vine grows on silty and silty- sandy soils originating from recent alluvial deposits. Of a straw-yellow colour, the wine has an agreeable and characteristic aroma with notes of apple, peach and apricot. Fresh and pleasing on the palate.
Durer-Weg (Durerís path) is the leg of the journey that brought the famous German Renaissance painter and engraver Albrecht Durer from Salorno to Cembra on the border between Alto Adige and Trentino in 1494. That path is still travelled by thousands of enthusiasts of nature and local culture, retracing the footsteps of the artistís famous journey. Today, the Durer-Weg winery is located in the historic An der Lan palace in Salorno, already a winery in 1900, where it produces wines from the Alto Adige region for La Vis members. On the well-exposed hills of Buchholz (Pochi), Neumarkt (Egna) and Salurn (Salorno), clones of historic Lagrein, Gewurztraminer, Pinot bianco, Pinot nero, Chardonnay and Pinot grigio grapes are grown. The vineyards are tended, almost cared for, with extraordinary dedication by the families of farmers who for centuries have braved the challenges and unpredictable rhythms of nature typical of the area. The alluring aromatic notes of the wines not only reflect the erratic climatic conditions of this region, where the mild Mediterranean and rigid Alpine climates meet, but also reveal the rich mineral composition of the ancient lands brought to the surface when the Alps rose up.
The austere and complex Pinot blanc from Vigna Trattmannhof, the rich and sumptuous Gewurztraminer Lochrachhof, the ancient and wise Lagrein Masetti Centíanni and the sophisticated, velvety Pinot noir Pichlhof are the regionís most representative wines and a synthesis of the unique characteristics of a number of selected vineyards, carefully chosen over the years with masterly techniques. These prestigious wines come with a beautiful label bearing an image of Albrecht Durerís “Saint ChristopherĒ wood engraving (1511).