The history of the La Marchesa estate dates back to 1750 when it was the home of the Marchesi Sauli, an ancient and powerful family of Genovese bankers. As the tale goes, the family was preparing for the marriage of the Marchese, but their home did not match his new bride’s aspirations. As a solution, a fantastic villa was built in the middle of the property, aptly named “La Marchesa,” in her honor. Within the villa is a chapel dedicated to the Guardian Angels, protecting the health and souls of the local peasants, and a limonaia (Italian for “lemon house”) during the winter. Following the end of the French Revolution and the establishment of the Congress of Vienna, an economic and trade boom made the family one of the most important in the zone. Today, La Marchesa has returned to its former glory on the same land it occupied in 1750, with the chapel and the limonaia perfectly restored and the old farmhouse converted into the Sauli Restaurant.