Weingut Robert Weil was founded in 1875 amidst fortuitous circumstances. The founder, Dr. Robert Weil, was a professor of German at the Sorbonne but was forced to leave Paris because of the pending Franco-Prussian War (1870/1871). His decision to work as a journalist in Wiesbaden, not far from the Rheingau, was doubtlessly influenced by the fact that his brother August was the minister and choir director of the parish church in Kiedrich. Dr. Weil purchased his first vineyards in Kiedrich, and he moved there in 1875, when he bought the estate manor from the heirs of Sir John Sutton, an English baronet.
Sutton was from a wealthy, old aristocratic family in Lincolnshire county. He came to Kiedrich in 1857, fell in love with the village, and became its greatest patron in the years thereafter. In addition to establishing social and charitable institutions, he strived to restore elements of Kiedrich’s Gothic heritage by funding the renovation of the church, which has one of Germany’s oldest organs. He also set up a foundation to maintain its choir, famous to this day for its German rendition of Gregorian chants.
When he moved to Kiedrich, Dr. Robert Weil decided to expand his small vineyard holdings into a wine estate. A man of vision, he built up the estate by purchasing the property of two local wine estates and additional vineyards from the Count of Fu¨rstenberg. Today the estate is managed with the same spirit of enterprise by the fourth generation of the founding family.
The Rheingau is a unique, self-contained region on the Rhine where the man-made landscape and the vine are at one. Its long viticultural tradition was established by monasteries and large aristocratic wine estates. Despite its demands on soil and climate, the Riesling grape thrives here and is inextricably linked with the Rheingau and its viticulture.
Weingut Robert Weil, one of the region’s younger estates, is located in the heart of Kiedrich, a village first documented in 950. Its profile is marked by the artworks and architecture of the Gothic parish church St. Valentine, aristocratic Gothic, Renaissance manors, and the tower of Scharfenstein castle, a former residence of the electors and archbishops of Mainz.
The estate cultivates 75 ha (185 acres) of vineyards planted with Riesling (99 %) and Pinot Noir (1 %) grapes. Wilhelm Weil, the great-grandson of the estate’s founder, carries on the tradition of uncompromising, quality-oriented practices in the vineyards and in the cellars.
The historical manor house, the ultra-modern cellars and the vinothek stand side by side in a beautiful park – the same synthesis of old and new that is reflected in the estate’s philosophy of winemaking.